Thursday 26 May 2016

Double Edge Safety Razor with 20 Derby Blades - Excellent handle...bad head.

I bought this razor to to add to my growing razor collection. Being fairly new to the world of DE shaving, I thought that for the price of the razor and the head similarity to the DE89 this would be a steal. I got the package and was surprised at the good look of the razor. The heft of the razor reminded me of the feel of my Maggard MR6. The handle wasn't as thick as my MR6, but the weight was solid, almost as heavy and just as long (4 inches). The knurling was fabulous.

But...big problem with the head. First off, the pins in the cap were off center, so trying to get the blade lined up didn't work out to well. Then there is the issue of the blade having to be cranked in for it to be seated, which I believe was due to the arc of the cap being steep. This resulted in having the blade having a bad, or to sharp of a cutting angle. I ran the razor over my face and barely got any feedback. Unfortunately, this led me to throw out the head entirely without giving it a chance to shave my face.

Perhaps I am one of those unlucky few that got a bad specimen, but again, all is not lost for the handle is definitely worth the price to me. As a matter of fact, all things did turn out for the better because now I use the handle on my DE89 providing more heft than the original barley handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment