Monday 30 May 2016

Viking Blade Safety Razor Review - Solid, Shaves well, Protective

I started off safety shaving with a dollar-store knock-off of Weishi (and to think Weishi is a knock off of the old Gilette). Pretty good I must say, aside from the occasional nicks. Then I was surfing the edwin jagger and merkur when I chanced upon this product. The micro-comb lines were what pushed me to make the purchase, seeing how I want to enjoy the experience of wet shaving, but am usually half awake during my morning shave (and hence prone to nicking myself when I lose my attention).

When the product came, I immediately appreciated the heft. Feels like a solid tool which you will be using for many years to come. Good stuff. Then came the test. I mounted the blade, placed the razor gently on my cheek, and shaved. I could immediately feel the protectiveness of the blade, which makes the shave 'milder' if you use your usual shaving angle. The trick here is to adjust your angle such that you can feel the shave, yet not feel like the blade is going to cut you anytime. Good BBS shave all the way.

Excited by this product, I thought of giving myself an upgrade with an edwin jagger 89. Ouch. Somehow the safety bar felt like it was cutting into my face, and I kept getting nicked no matter how I adjust my shaving angle. So much for getting an 'upgrade'

So as you may have guessed, I'm now back to this Vikings Blade. Gives me a good BBS shave, everytime.

(as a precautionary note, I must say that YMMV. Different safety razors give different shave even for the same blade. I also bought a blade sampler pack and am happy to settle with Astra blues as my go-to blades.)

highly recommended for shavers.

You can check out the product on Amazon and Julian Vue Website

No comments:

Post a Comment