Thursday 16 June 2016

"Futur" Safety Razor By Merkur - Imbalanced, uneven blade gaps, slippery...

After seven months with this razor I wanted to report back to the community what's going on with this unit.
PROS:
-Beautiful
-Adjustable blade to allow for either closeness or higher blade tension to cut course beards

CONS:
- The spring or tension device puts inconsistent pressure on the blade causing the razor blade to warp and leave gaps. Gaps equals nicks, cuts, and uneven trims. This is the single major flaw that is completely killing it for me and why I am replacing it.
- the satin finish is VERY slippery when wet. I still don't feel confident handling it after 7 months.
- Feels unbalanced. I cannot seem to get a comfortable angle to allow a good shave
- blade replacement feels mildly dangerous due to head design. You have to pop the top with your thumb and it typically causes the blade to eject since it's sprung from tension.

I REEEEALLLLY wanted to love this razor but it has some major flaws. I could live with the "cons" above except for the fact that it doesn't adjust the blade as intended...and this is the whole selling point of the product! Please be mindful of the really high scores given to this product and you'll see that these are early life scores versus those that owned the product a while. Many are reporting the finish is wearing off and some had ER visits after cutting themselves with the somewhat poor head design.

Merkur needs to redesign this product and then I think they would have a homerun. But for now, I would firmly talk everyone out of this product until issues are solved.

Read about  Vikings Blade: 

No comments:

Post a Comment